Here is the first video in a "Hot Dog" series, that I will be doing over the next month. This is my own creation, and featuring a hot dog chili sauce that I created way back in the early 90's, and I use to sell these, and they were a huge hit. In this video, I kick them up a notch or two from what I use to sell, but it's still the same basic recipe.
|For the chili|
|Water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Lean ground beef||2 1/4 Pound|
|White onion||1 , chopped|
|Extra virgin olive oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Chili powder||1 Tablespoon|
|Garlic||6 Clove (30 gm) , crushed|
|Crushed red pepper flakes||1 Tablespoon|
|Diced tomatoes||14 1/2 Ounce (unsalted can of diced tomatoes)|
|Unsalted tomato sauce||8 Ounce (canned sauce)|
|Pickled serrano peppers||6 , diced|
|Prepared horseradish||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Corn starch||2 Tablespoon , dissolved in ¼ cup water|
|Sauerkraut||16 Ounce (refrigerated)|
|Chili powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Sugar||1 1/2 Tablespoon|
|Beef franks||8 (skinless)|
|Sub roll||4 , top removed and hollowed|
|Mustard sauce||4 Tablespoon|
|Cheese cubes||6 Tablespoon (high temperature cheese is used here which stays consistent during cooking.)|
FOR THE BEEF CHILI
1. Pour water in a deep pan, followed by Mexican beer. Now add lean ground beef, and break into a fine mixture and brown in liquid.
2. Heat extra virgin olive oil in a deep pan and saute onions in it. Add chili powder, salt, cumin, cocoa and garlic, and saute for a couple of minutes. Add the ground meat along with the liquid.
3. Add red pepper flakes, bay leaf, diced tomatoes and tomato sauce. Mix well and simmer for an hour.
4. Now add serrano peppers and horseradish, and simmer for another hour. Mix in corn starch water solution and cook for a couple of minutes until the chilli attains desired thickness.
FOR THE SAUERKRAUT
5. In a deep pan, add sauerkraut, chili powder, sugar and mix well. Now add Mexican beer and simmer for 20 minutes.
6. Place the beef franks on hot grill, and cook for a few minutes until grill marks start appearing.
7. Preheat oven at 275 degrees.
8. Take a sub roll, and cut around and hollow it out. Place 2 grilled beef franks in it. Spread one tablespoon of mustard sauce over the beef franks, followed by 1.5 tablespoons of cubed cheese.
9. Now spread around 3 tablespoons of prepared beef chili, followed by 3 tablespoons of prepared sauerkraut.
Repeat to prepare 3 more rusty hot dogs.
10. Wrap the stuffed hot dog in an aluminum foil and heat for around 20 minutes.
11. Serve immediately.
Calories 1358Calories from Fat 572
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 64 g98.5%
Saturated Fat 20 g100%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 4611 mg192.13%
Total Carbohydrates 103 g34.3%
Dietary Fiber 16 g64%
Sugars 27 g
Protein 85 g170%
Vitamin A % Vitamin C %
Calcium % Iron %
Calories 5432Calories from Fat 2288
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 256 g394%
Saturated Fat 80 g400%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 18444 mg768.52%
Total Carbohydrates 412 g137.2%
Dietary Fiber 64 g256%
Sugars 108 g
Protein 340 g680%
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 0% Iron 0%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet