|For the spiced rum & peach glazed ham|
|Spiced rum||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Peach preserves||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Molasses||1 1/2 Teaspoon|
|Light brown sugar||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Ground allspice||1 Pinch|
|Spiral ham||10 Pound|
|For the candied yams|
|Yams||3 1/2 Pound , cut into 1 inch to 1½ inch cubes (Fresh Jumbo Yams)|
|Melted butter||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Granulated sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Light brown sugar||3/4 Cup (12 tbs) , lightly packed|
|Orange zest||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground cinnamon||3/4 Teaspoon|
|Ground nutmeg||1/8 Teaspoon|
|All purpose flour||1 Tablespoon (heaping)|
|Chopped pecan||1/4 Cup (4 tbs) , roast (Optional)|
FOR THE SPICED RUM & PEACH GLAZED HAM
1. Preheat oven 275 degrees for the ham.
1. In a medium stainless steel saucepan combine the spiced rum, peach preserves, molasses, brown sugar and all spice and whisk all the ingredients together.
2. Place the saucepan on the stove and turn the heat to medium high and reduce the glaze by half, stirring occasionally.
3. In the meantime prepare a roasting pan, place the ham in the roasting pan and cover it with parchment paper and then a layer of aluminum foil.
4. Heat the ham for 12 to 15 minutes per pound approximately 150 minutes.
5. Once the glaze thickens turn off the heat and transfer in a bowl.
6. When the ham is done remove for the oven and increase the oven temperature to 425 degree.
7. Glaze the ham and put it back in the oven uncovered for 10 more minutes.
8. Remove and let it rest before slicing.
9. Serve the ham along with a side of candied yams or roasted potatoes.
The sweet pomegranate glaze is an option for people who would not like to use alcohol in their glaze.
Use the following ingredients, 2½ Cups Pomegranate Juice (Recommended: Pom), ¾ Cup Light Brown Sugar, lightly packed & 2 Tablespoons Granulated Sugar.
Procedure for making is same as rum and peach glaze.
FOR THE CANDIED YAMS
1. Preheat oven 375 degrees.
2. Peel and cut the yams into small cubes and place it into a 9x13 baking dish.
3. Pour in the butter, sugar, brown sugar, honey, vanilla extract, cinnamon and nutmeg and orange zest.
4. Stir everything well and cover the pan with aluminum foil.
5. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes.
6. Once it’s done check it should be fork tender and watery.
7. Remove the foil remove ½ cup of the syrup from the yams and reserve it in a small bowl.
8. Add flour to the reserved syrup and stir until smooth, pour the flour mixture over the yams and stir.
9. Bake the yams uncovered for another 20-25 minutes or until the syrup thickens.
10. Once done let it rest.
11. Serve the candied yam and top it with some roasted pecans.
Calories 835Calories from Fat 202
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 22 g33.8%
Saturated Fat 8 g40%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 205 mg8.54%
Total Carbohydrates 82 g27.3%
Dietary Fiber 5 g20%
Sugars 49 g
Protein 73 g146%
Vitamin A % Vitamin C %
Calcium % Iron %
Calories 11690Calories from Fat 2828
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 308 g473.2%
Saturated Fat 112 g560%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 2870 mg119.56%
Total Carbohydrates 1148 g382.2%
Dietary Fiber 70 g280%
Sugars 686 g
Protein 1022 g2044%
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 0% Iron 0%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet