Perfect holiday brunch to help you and your family kickstart the celebrations.
|For the shrimp & sausage|
|Extra virgin olive oil||5 Tablespoon|
|Andouille sausage||1 Pound ((sliced inch thick))|
|Green bell pepper||1/4 Cup (4 tbs) , dice|
|Onion||1/4 Cup (4 tbs) , dice|
|Celery||1/4 Cup (4 tbs) , dice|
|Bay leaf stalk||1 Small|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm) , mince|
|Low sodium chicken stock||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Shrimp||1 Pound , devein|
|Heavy cream||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Kosher salt||To Taste|
|Black pepper||To Taste|
|Seasoning mix||2 Teaspoon|
|Roma tomato||1 Small , dice ((deseeded))|
|Fresh parsley||1 Tablespoon , chop|
|For the yellow corn grits|
|Grits||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Milk||1 1/4 Cup (20 tbs) ((Whole or Low Fat))|
|Water||1 1/4 Cup (20 tbs)|
1. Slice the andouille sausage; preheat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 3 tablespoons of olive oil and allow it heat up for about a minute.
2. Add the sliced sausages into the pan and brown them for about 8 to 10 minutes. Once browned, pour them into a bowl and set aside.
3. In the same skillet over medium-high heat, add the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Sauté the bell pepper, onions, celery and the bay leaf.
4. Add a pinch of salt and pepper and cook for about 5 to 8 minutes or until the vegetables are softened. Next, add the garlic, stir and cook for another 1 to 2 minutes.
5. Add the browned sausages back into the skillet and stir to combine for 1 or 2 minutes. Next, add the low sodium chicken stock and stir. Turn the heat down to medium-low and simmer.
6. To prepare the grits, bring the milk and water to a low simmer in a medium size sauce pot over low to medium-low heat. Do not cover the pot.
7. Vigorously whisk the grits into the simmering milk and water mixture so as to avoid lumps.
8. Let it simmer on medium-low giving it a stir every 5 minutes or so. Cook for 25 to 30 minutes. Check the grits and stir.
9. Add a tablespoon of butter and salt and season as per taste.
10. Season the shrimp with Grand Diamond All Purpose Seasoning, add them to the sausage mixture and stir.
11. Keep the heat low and continue to cook just until the shrimp turn pink, about 5 minutes or so.
12. Next, pour in the heavy cream; sprinkle some pepper, chopped tomatoes and chopped parsley, stir. Taste to adjust the seasoning. Turn off the heat.
13. Once the grits are done, pour the desired amount of grits into a shallow bowl. Ladle the shrimp, sausage and sauce over the grits.
14. Serve the shrimp and andouille sausage with grits hot.
Just in case thinner grits are desired, you may combine ½ cup of water and ½ cup of milk in another small sauce pot over low heat in order to whisk in the desired amount of liquid into the grits.
Calories 919Calories from Fat 519
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 58 g89.2%
Saturated Fat 18 g90%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 1024 mg42.67%
Total Carbohydrates 46 g15.3%
Dietary Fiber 3 g12%
Sugars 7 g
Protein 52 g104%
Vitamin A % Vitamin C %
Calcium % Iron %
Calories 3676Calories from Fat 2076
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 232 g356.8%
Saturated Fat 72 g360%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 4096 mg170.68%
Total Carbohydrates 184 g61.2%
Dietary Fiber 12 g48%
Sugars 28 g
Protein 208 g416%
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 0% Iron 0%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet