|Golden syrup||8 Ounce|
|Plain flour||8 Ounce|
|Candied peel||1 Ounce|
|Bicarbonate of soda||1 Teaspoon|
|Milk||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. Preheat the oven to 325°F, 170°C, Gas Mark 3.
2. In a large pan, melt the syrup over low heat and then beat in the butter and sugar to form a thick paste.
3. Add the sifted flour and the ginger together and beat well. Beat in the egg and form a thick batter
4. In a separate small bowl, beat the bicarbonate of soda with a little milk and then add to the pan to combine. Lastly, add the chopped peel to mix well.
5. Tip this into a rectangular baking tray and set aside to bake for one hour.
6. Cut into slices and serve with apricot jam or pack into heavy-duty foil or a polythene bag for later.
Serving size Complete recipe
Calories 2261Calories from Fat 691
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 76 g116.9%
Saturated Fat 38 g190%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 2547 mg106.13%
Total Carbohydrates 367 g122.3%
Dietary Fiber 8 g32%
Sugars 141 g
Protein 30 g60%
Vitamin A % Vitamin C %
Calcium % Iron %
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet