Merry Christmas and happy holidays one and all! I have been dying to make a Buche de Noel for a really long time and I'm glad I was able to make one for the first time this year.
|Egg whites||7 1⁄3 Ounce|
|Granulated sugar||4 1⁄2 Ounce|
|For cake batter:|
|Egg yolks||5 1⁄2 Ounce|
|Granulated sugar||2 1⁄2 Ounce|
|All purpose flour||5 1⁄2 Ounce|
|Vanilla extract||2 Teaspoon|
|Powdered sugar||6 Ounce (about)|
|Buttercream frosting||4 Ounce (3|
|Cocoa powder||3 1⁄2 Pound (for butter cream)|
|For meringue mushrooms|
|Egg whites||60 Gram (50|
|Cream of tartar||1⁄4 Teaspoon (Optional)|
|Super fine sugar||100 Gram (white sugar)|
1. Preheat oven to 380 degree F.
2. Line a half sheet pan (13x18) with parchment paper and spray with cooking oil.
3. Wipe electric mixer bowl with vinegar and place egg whites and sugar in it. Immediately start whipping on low speed until sugar dissolves. Continue to whip until medium peaks form. Transfer the meringue into a bowl and set aside.
4. In the same mixer bowl, combine egg yolks, and granulated sugar. Whip to ribbon stage. The ribbon should hold shape for 7 seconds before disappearing.
5. In a separate bowl, sift and combine flour and salt.
6. Add the vanilla extract into the bowl with egg yolk mixture and beat until fully combined. Scrape the sides of the bowl.
7. Pour the flour salt mixture and beat until fully incorporated, scraping the sides as and when needed.
8. Fold the meringue into the yolk mixture, in three parts.
9. Pour the batter into the prepared sheet pan and spread evenly. Pop the pan in oven and bake for about 15-20 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean. Do not over bake or it will be difficult to roll.
10. Remove the cake from oven and let cool for 5 minutes. While the cake is still hot, run a butter knife along the edge to loosen it from the sides.
11. Dust the top of the cake generously with powdered sugar. Lay a non-terry kitchen towel or a sheet of paper on top of the powdered sugar.
12. Place another sheet pan on top and flip it over. Lift the bottom sheet pan carefully and then peel the parchment paper.
13. Dust the other side with powdered sugar and starting from one of the shorter edge begin rolling the cake tightly like a sleeping bag. Set the rolled cake aside, seam side down. Allow the cake to cool completely.
For Meringue Mushrooms:
14. Wipe the bowl with vinegar and place egg whites in it. Add sugar and cream of tartar. Whip until medium peaks form.
15. Fill a piping bag without a tip with about cup of meringue.
16. Fill another piping bag fitted with an Ateco 808 round tip with the mixture and begin piping shapes (as shown in the video) on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper.
17. Pop the sheet pan in oven and bake for an hour at 200-225 degree F. The meringue should be hard, smooth and not sticky.
18. Remove the pan from oven and let cool for 5-10 minutes.
19. Take a sharp paring knife and cut about 1 cm sized holes in the middle of the bottom of each mushroom cap. Take the reserved meringue as glue and press into holes. Then take the stem, and press into the holes using reserved meringue.
20. Place the mushrooms up-side down back on the sheet pan and pop in oven. Bake for 15-30 minutes. Remove from oven and cool. If desired dust the top.
21. Prepare a 10-inch-12-inch cake cardboard using vanilla buttercream and set aside. Also take out 1 cup of buttercream for decoration.
22. Add cocoa powder in the remaining buttercream and mix well.
23. Unroll the cake, remove the towel and spread a layer of cocoa powder mixed buttercream on top. Roll it back and pop in fridge for 60 minutes or until icing is firm.
24. Remove cake from fridge and trim off the edge using hot knife. On the other side cut about 2-2 -inch piece.
25. Take the longer piece and place on the iced cake board. Take the shorter piece and place it to the side of the longer piece to form a branching log.
26. Fill the remaining cocoa powder mixed frosting in piping bag and pipe rows on the cake.
27. Take a fork and drag along the icing to create ridges as shown in the video.
28. Dust powdered sugar and decorate with white meringue and mushroom as shown in the video.
29. Serve and enjoy!