Fondant or Sugar Paste or Gum Paste, Is like edible play dough! Used on specialty cakes to make anything. It is made with a large amount of sugar, and some ingredients such as gelatin, meringue powder or marshmallows which are non vegetarian.. Upon your request, I'm here with a vegetarian recipe.. It's like a blank canvas with all the colors beside waiting for your creativity.. Unlike regular fondant, this fondant has cream and more butter, which makes this fondant way more tastier.. Tastes better, feels good to work with due to its softness!
|Powdered sugar||4 Cup (64 tbs) (3|
|Cream||1/4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Liquid glucose||1/4 Cup (4 tbs) (Corn syrup)|
|Agar agar||1 1/2 Tablespoon (China grass)|
|Salt||1/4 Teaspoon (Omit if using salted butter)|
|Corn flour||2 Tablespoon (For dusting)|
|Food color||To Taste (Powder or Gel Paste)|
1. Soak the agar in the cream for 10 mins. Drop that to a pan and cook that in low flame until everything is well mixed and no traces of agar are seen.
2. Transfer it to a bowl, making sure every-bit is out. Add in the butter and mix well.
3. Add liquid glucose, salt, glycerin. Beat it really well using a beater/whisk.
4. Add about 1½ cups of sugar and mix that really well with hands, after its mixed well. Add another 1½ cup and mix well.
5. Transfer the fondant to the working surface. Now add more sugar if you feel its not stiff enough, and knead for 4-5 mins. I added another ½ cup sugar. Actually depends upon the weather.
6. Cover with cling wrap/plastic wrap and refrigerate for a minimum of 12 hrs. After that, keep for a hour or two in counter top so that it comes to room temp.
7. Start kneading the fondant in a corn flour/powdered sugar dusted surface. Knead for a couple of mins. Fondant is ready to be used..
8. To color the fondant, take gel colors or powder colors and incoporate that really well. Add more sugar/corn flour if it gets sticky and if the color is not vibrant, add more color.
9. Roll out and cut into variety of shapes, or gently place over cake.
Serving size Complete recipe
Calories 2534Calories from Fat 236
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 26 g40%
Saturated Fat 17 g85%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 596 mg24.83%
Total Carbohydrates 572 g190.7%
Dietary Fiber %
Sugars 528 g
Protein 2 g4%
Vitamin A % Vitamin C %
Calcium % Iron %
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet