|Whole bluefish||4 Pound , cleaned, gutted and grilled|
|Lemon||1 Large , sliced into thin rounds|
|Assorted herbs||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Black pepper||1 Teaspoon (or to taste)|
|Garlic||4 Clove (20 gm)|
|Kosher salt||4 Cup (64 tbs) (Salt crusted and cooked and salt discarded)|
1) Preheat oven to 500 degrees.
2) Pour a box of kosher salt into a bowl and combine with about a half cup of water. Mix together until it has a consistency of slightly damp sand. Put down a layer of this salt mixture into a roasting pan large enough to accommodate the fish.
3) Stuff the cavity of the fish with herbs, lemon, garlic and black pepper. Lay it across the salt layer, then bury the fish completely (using as much of the salt/water combo as necessary…you may need a second box of salt).
4) Roast the salt encrusted fish in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes. Check with an insta-read thermometer jammed through the salt and into the thickest part of the fish flesh. Once the temperature reads 125, break away the hardened sarcophogus of salt, brushing the skin clean
5) Carve the flesh from the first side of the fish. Once you reach the middle, you can pull out the main fish bone in one piece to access the second side of the fish encased in the bottom layer of salt.
6) Serve the fish while it is still hot. It's a great, light, late-night supper with a green salad, some bread and ample quantities of wine.
Serving size Complete recipe
Calories 2312Calories from Fat 698
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 77 g118.5%
Saturated Fat 16 g80%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 1475 mg61.46%
Total Carbohydrates 20 g6.7%
Dietary Fiber 5 g20%
Protein 367 g734%
Vitamin A % Vitamin C %
Calcium % Iron %
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet