Rosti is a potato-based dish of swiss origin, where it used to be a common breakfast especially for farmers. Here, grated potatoes are mixed with cheese and a sprinkling of green chilies and cooked covered till a good aroma wafts out of the pan. What makes this version very interesting is a coat of aromatic mushroom pepper sauce and a topping of sauteed mixed veggies. Potato rosti with mushroom pepper sauce is indeed a wholesome breakfast but can be had as an accompaniment for lunch or dinner too.
|For mushroom sauce|
|Sliced mushroom||1 1/2 Cup (24 tbs) (or corn, broccoli)|
|Thinly sliced onion||1/4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Grated garlic||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Finely chopped celery||2 Tablespoon|
|Plain flour||2 Tablespoon|
|Salt and ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Fresh cream||2 Tablespoon|
|Blanched red capsicum cubes||1/4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Blanched yellow capsicum cubes||1/4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Sliced and blanched carrot||1/2 Cup (8 tbs) (1/2|
|Blanched broccoli florets||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Boiled grated potatoes||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Corn flour||2 Teaspoon|
|Melted butter||1 Tablespoon|
|Grated processed cheese||1/4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Finely chopped green chili||2 Teaspoon|
For Mushroom Pepper Sauce:
1. In a pan, heat oil and butter, add the onions and saute over medium flame for 2 minutes or until lightly browned.
2. Add the garlic and saute for a few seconds.
3. Add celery and plain flour, stir constantly and cook for 2 minutes.
4. Stir in mushroom and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of water if the mushrooms start burning.
5. Pour 1 cup of water, cook for 2 minutes and then season with salt. Stir occasionally and cook mushroom for another 1-2 minutes.
6. Add the pepper powder and fresh cream , mix well and cook for another minute. Set aside.
7. In a non-stick pan, heat butter, add capsicum (red and yellow), carrots, and broccoli. Season with salt and pepper. Mix well and saute over medium flame for 2 minutes. Keep aside.
8. In a plate, combine the potatoes, salt and corn flour. Mix well with help of two forks. Keep aside.
9. Grease a pan with butter, sprinkle cheese and green chili evenly all over.
10. Add the potato mixture and press very well. Cover with a lid and cook on low flame for 4 -5 minutes.
11. Turn off the flame, loosen the sides of the rosti with the help of a knife, place a plate inverted on the pan and turn the pan to invert the rosti on the plate.
12. Pour 3/4th of the mushroom sauce evenly over the rosti and spread the vegetables on top.
13. Pour more mushroom sauce over it and serve immediately.
Calories 433Calories from Fat 219
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 25 g38.5%
Saturated Fat 11 g55%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 493 mg20.54%
Total Carbohydrates 46 g15.3%
Dietary Fiber 5 g20%
Sugars 5 g
Protein 9 g18%
Vitamin A % Vitamin C %
Calcium % Iron %
Calories 1732Calories from Fat 876
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 100 g154%
Saturated Fat 44 g220%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 1972 mg82.16%
Total Carbohydrates 184 g61.2%
Dietary Fiber 20 g80%
Sugars 20 g
Protein 36 g72%
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 0% Iron 0%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet