This is a version of Shepard's that I do. It is very simple and delicious.
One note here...to really intense the flavors use a about 1 1/2 cup of a good beef or lamb stock with 1/2 cup of Guinness beer.
|For meat filling|
|Onion||1 Medium , diced|
|Olive oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Chopped rosemary||2 Teaspoon|
|Cinnamon powder||1/8 Teaspoon|
|Ground lamb||1 Pound (85/15)|
|Ground beef||1 Pound (85/15)|
|Flour||1/3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Frozen peas and carrots||12 Ounce|
|Minced garlic||2 Teaspoon|
|Water/Stock||2 1/2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Russet potatoes||2 3/4 Pound , peeled and cubbed|
|Cream cheese||1/4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Irish cheddar cheese||4 Ounce , grated (dubliner irish cheddar cheese)|
|Salt and pepper||To Taste|
1. Preheat the oven to 375 F.
2. In a large pot, put together potatoes and enough water to cover the potatoes. Put the lid on and bring to a boil.
3. Reduce the heat and simmer until the potatoes are tender.
4. Once the potatoes are tender, drain of the water and place the pot back on heat.
5. Add in all the remaining ingredients, one at a time and stir well after each addition.
6. Mash the potatoes with a masher, cover and set aside.
7. In a pot, over medium high heat, put together olive oil and butter and let the butter melt.
8. Add the onions and saute it for about 2 to 4 minutes or until soft.
9. Put the meat in and stir to cook until the meat is dry and tender.
10. Add the flour and stir continuously for 3 to 4 minutes.
11. Stir in minced garlic and herbs, pour in water and ketchup, stir and bring to a simmer and cook until the mixture thickens.
12. Add the peas and carrot and stir well.
13. In a 3-quart casserole dish, pour the meat mixture and spread out evenly.
14. Dollop the potato mixture all over the meat mixture, press and spread the potato mixture with a fork.
15. Put the casserole in the oven and let it cook for 40 to 45 minutes or until the light browned on top and bubbling.
16. Remove from the oven and let it rest for about 15 to 20 minutes.
17. Cut and serve hot as desired.
Serving size Complete recipe
Calories 5057Calories from Fat 2865
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 320 g492.3%
Saturated Fat 138 g690%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 2333 mg97.21%
Total Carbohydrates 332 g110.7%
Dietary Fiber 36 g144%
Sugars 24 g
Protein 233 g466%
Vitamin A % Vitamin C %
Calcium % Iron %
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet