|Sugar||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Unsweetened chocolate squares||2 Ounce (2 squares, 1|
|Butter/Margarine||3/4 Cup (12 tbs) , softened|
|Sugar||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Eggs||4 , separated|
|Cake flour||2 1/4 Cup (36 tbs)|
|Baking soda||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Cream of tartar||1 Teaspoon|
|Butter||1 Cup (16 tbs) , softened|
|Powdered sugar||2 1/4 Cup (36 tbs) , divided|
|Instant coffee granules||1 Tablespoon|
|Hot water||3/4 Teaspoon|
|Almond extract||1 1/2 Tablespoon|
1. Preheat the oven at 350°.
2. In a heavy saucepan cook combining 1/2 cup sugar, water and chocolate over low heat, stirring until chocolate melts.
3. Remove from heat and let it cool.
4. Cream butter, gradually add sugar, beating well and stir in vanilla.
5. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition and then stir in chocolate mixture.
6. In a bowl combine flour, soda and salt and add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, mixing well after each addition and beginning and ending with flour mixture.
7. Beat egg whites at room temperature until frothy, beat adding cream of tartar until stiff peaks form and then fold into batter.
8. Grease three 9-inch round cakepans, line with greased waxed paper and dust with flour.
9. Pour batter into prepared pans and bake in the preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
To make the Mocha frosting:
10. In a bowl cream butter and 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar until light and fluffy.
11. In another bowl combine coffee powder, cocoa and water and stir into creamed mixture.
12. Add egg yolks and beat for 5 minutes.
13. Stir in almond extract and rum and add enough of remaining sugar to make spreading consistency as the frosting gets quite firm when refrigerated.
14. Spread mocha frosting between layers and on top and sides of cake.
15. Store in refrigerator to prevent the cake to be frozen.
16. Garnish with chocolate curls, if desired and serve.
Serving size Complete recipe
Calories 8158Calories from Fat 3435
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 391 g601.5%
Saturated Fat 234 g1170%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 2106 mg87.75%
Total Carbohydrates 1094 g364.7%
Dietary Fiber 45 g180%
Sugars 788 g
Protein 97 g194%
Vitamin A % Vitamin C %
Calcium % Iron %
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet