|Beets with leafy tops||6 Large|
|Water||10 Cup (160 tbs)|
|Seasoned chicken stock base/10 chicken bouillon cubes||4 Tablespoon|
|Lemon juice||10 Tablespoon|
|Sugar||1 1/2 Tablespoon|
|Sour cream||2 Tablespoon|
1. Trim fresh and tender leaves from beet stems. Remove stems and coarse leaves.
2. Wash the leaves and drain.
3. Chop the leaves.
4. Peel raw beets and shred coarsely measuring 5 to 6 cups.
5. Peel onion and shred.
6. Peel the potato and cut in 1/2-inch cubes
7. In a large kettle combine beet tops with onion. Pour water and chicken stock base and boil.
8. Cook covered and simmer soup for 15 minutes.
9. Add potato and cook for 15 minutes.
10. Stir in 6 tablespoons lemon juice and 1 tablespoon sugar.
11. Chill the soup.
12. Add salt, lemon juice and sugar as required to balance the sweet-sour flavor.
13. Cover and chill for a week.
14. Ladle into bowls and serve with sour cream as desired.