Rechead is derived from the Portuguese word Recheio which means to stuff A vibrant chilli paste is made by grinding together dried Chillies and spices, raw Sugar and Tamarind together with Garlic and Ginger, fried Onions and Vinegar. This is then used as a stuffing for the fish as well as a marinade.
|Cumin seeds||2 Teaspoon|
|Kashmiri chilis||30 , deseeded|
|Cinnamon stick||3 Inch|
|Turmeric powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Coarse sea salt||1 Teaspoon|
|Tamarind||1 Teaspoon , soaked in 2 teaspoons of hot water|
|Fried onion||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Vinegar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Lemon juice||To Taste|
|Semolina||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Oil||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1. Make the paste by first grinding the dry ingredients, followed by the wet ingredients.
2. Slit the fish, cleaning out all the organs, and marinate with salt and lemon juice for 10 mins
3. Add some of the masala in the slit of the fish and also add some fried onions.
4. Add masala all over the fish.
5. Dredge in semolina and shallow fry till cooked and the skin is crispy.
6. Serve accompanied with lemon wedges.