A very simple recipe for the Russian Kebab, Shashlik. This is the version enjoyed by the tribesmen in the Caucuses.
|For the marinade|
|Onions||5 , minced|
|Red wine vinegar||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Grapeseed oil||4 Tablespoon|
|Chives||1 Bunch (100 gm) , finely minced|
|Sea salt||To Taste|
|Fresh ground black pepper||To Taste|
|For the kebabs:|
|Pork shoulder||1 , cut in to 2 x 2 inch chunks|
|Beef tri tip||1 , cut in to 2 x 2 inch chunks|
|White onion||1 Large , cut in to 2 x 2 inch slices|
1. In a large bowl, combine minced onion, red wine vinegar, grapeseed oil, chives, sea salt, fresh ground black pepper. Mix well.
2. Place the beef and pork in two separate zip lock bags and divide the marinade evenly among the two bags. Massage the marinade into the meat and allow to marinate for about 4 hours.
3. Prepare the grill.
4. On a skewer arrange beef pieces alternating with onion slices as shown in the video.
5. On a separate skewer, arrange pork pieces alternating with onion slices.
6. Place these skewers on the prepared grill and allow to cook rotating the kebabs occasionally for even cooking. Remove from the grill when done and allow to rest breifly.
7. Serve hot.