Before you break in to that pumpkin pie this Thanksgiving, check out this innovative concoction from Jamie Boudreau of Canon Seattle. The Pumpkin King was inspired by the great seasonal pumpkin ales that pop up this time of year. Jamie uses Pumking Imperial Pumpkin Ale from Southern Tier Brewing Co. to create a beer liqueur which he uses as the foundation for the cocktail. With its soft yet rich flavor, Pigs Nose Scotch Whisky is the perfect compliment to the deep spice of the hand made beer liqueur.
|Scotch||1 1/2 Ounce (Pigs Nose Whisky)|
|Pumpkin||1/2 Ounce (Liqueur)|
|Fresh lime juice||1/2 Ounce|
|Bitters||1 Dash (Bitter Truth Old Time Aromatic)|
1. Shake with ice and strain into a cocktail glass.
2. Top with ginger beer.
3. Serve garnished with a lime wheel.
To Make Housemade Beer Liqueur
1. Place one part beer, two parts sugar, 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon and 2 teaspoons ground allspice into a small sauce pan.
2. Simmer on high heat stirring frequently until bubbles expand.
3. Turn off heat and let cool.
4. Once cool, skim off bubbly layer on top.
5. Strain into a glass bottle.
6. Add 1/2 part cognac and shake to combine.
Serving size Complete recipe
Calories 114Calories from Fat
% Daily Value*
Total Fat %
Saturated Fat %
Trans Fat 0 g
Total Carbohydrates 2 g0.7%
Dietary Fiber %
Vitamin A % Vitamin C %
Calcium % Iron %
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet