Our Root Beer Recipe From Scratch - can be naturally fermented or naturally carbonated (a real root beer with alcohol), or as a sweet soda pop syrup that you mix with carbonated water. This is a traditional base recipe, there are so many ways to make this taste like you want it.
|Syrup and making:|
|Fresh ginger||35 Gram|
|Cinnamon stick||5 Gram|
|Dried sassafras root bark||20 Gram|
|Dried sarsaparilla root||10 Gram|
|Dried liquorice root||10 Gram|
|Dried cherry bark||7 Gram|
|Brown sugar||2 Cup (32 tbs) (Demerera)|
|Lactose||1/2 Cup (8 tbs) (optional)|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Active ginger bug||To Taste (optional, for natural carbonation)|
1, Bring 1L water, chopped ginger, and cinnamon to a boil.
Boil for 2-3 minutes.
2. Remove from heat and add: sassafras, sarsaparilla root, cherry bark, liquorice root.
3. Cover, and let steep for 15 minutes.
4. Using a coffee filter strain solids out of root-infused liquid.
5. Quickly cool liquid, so any fine particulate will 'drop out'.
6. Carefully transfer cooled liquid to a pot - leaving behind any 'sludge'.
7. Add, brown sugar, lactose (if using) and salt, whisk and bring to a simmer to dissolve sugar.
8. Cool and add vanilla extract.
9. This root beer syrup can be mixed 1 part syrup to 3 parts carbonated water for a 'non-alcoholic' root beer.
For Making naturally carbonated root beer:
10. Pour into pressure safe bottles, filling to within 2" of top but no higher.
11. Cap and set aside at room temperature to let ferment for 2-3 days.
13. Check fermentation - then chill / store in refrigerator.
14. Serve and Enjoy!
Other possible Root beer ingredients: