A delicious Fall salad of squash, dandelion and radicchio plus shopping at the Hollywood Farmers Market
|Kabocha squash||1 Medium|
|Olive oil||6 Tablespoon|
|Minced sage leaves||2 Tablespoon|
|Sherry vinegar||6 Tablespoon|
|Cayenne pepper||1 Pinch|
|Young dandelion greens||5 Ounce|
|Radicchio||3 Ounce , sliced vertically into thin strips|
|Thick bacon slice||5|
|Parmesan cheese||1 Tablespoon|
1. Pre-heat the oven to 425 degrees. Cut squash in half vertically, and scoop out
seeds and coarse fibers with a spoon. Reserve the seeds. Set aside one half of
the squash for another use.
2. Cut the retained squash half into 3/4-inch-thick wedges. Trim and discard the
peel from each wedge. Toss the wedges with 4 tbsp olive oil and the minced
sage leaves. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. Arrange pieces in a single
layer onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake in a 425 degree oven until
squash is slightly browned and tender when pierced, about 25 minutes. When
the squash is finished turn the oven down to 375 degrees.
3. Clean the seeds under running water and dry with paper towels. Spread the
dry seeds onto a baking sheet and toast 10-12 mins. stirring once, until they
begin to color. Remove from oven. Season with a little salt.
4. Meanwhile, in a blender or mini food processor, place 3 tbsp sherry vinegar,
remaining 2 tablespoons oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt, cayenne pepper, honey and 2
tbsp of the cooled pepito seeds. Puree the mixture until smooth. Adjust the
consistency with as much of the remaining vinegar as necessary.
5. Toss the greens and radicchio with the sweet pepito vinaigrette. Place it all
onto a serving plate.
6. In a 10- to 12-inch frying pan over medium-high heat, stir bacon until lightly
browned and almost crisp, keep some chewy texture. Transfer to paper towels to
drain. Top the dressed salad with the warm kabocha wedges.
7. Using a vegetable peeler, shave Parmesan cheese over the top. Sprinkle
salad with bacon and some of the whole toasted pepitos. Add salt and pepper to
For more information please visit: http://www.sippitysup.com/