In this recipe, I make savory Hot Cross Buns! Goa sausage or Choriz is made by cutting the meat into very small pieces and then dehydrating it and then applying a special spice paste to the meat. Its then stuffed into casings and smoked. Its then stuffed into a delicious bun and a cross is made on the top before baking its a blessing indeed!
|Choriz Chilly Fry:|
|534 gms of Choriz or smoked sausage finely chopped|
|2 cups, 300 gms cubed Potatoes|
|2 cups, 180 gms Onion|
|4 tbsps, 26 gms sliced green Chillies|
|Salt and Pepper to taste|
|1 cup chopped Coriander|
|2 tsps Yeast|
|1/2 cup warm Water|
|1 tbsp Sugar|
|1 tsp baking Powder|
|1 tsp Salt|
|1.5 cups warm Milk|
|3.5 cups sifted Flour|
|3 tbsps Butter|
|1 beaten Egg|
|Flour & Water|
1. To make the chilly fry, start frying the potatoes and remove.
2. Add the onion followed by the chilli.
3. Add the sausage, salt & pepper.
4. Add the coriander.
5. Allow to cool.
6. To make the dough allow the yeast to foam by adding. warm water to the yeast with sugar and leave it for 30 mins.
7. Use a paddle attachment and add the baking powder & salt.
8. Add the butter.
9. Alternate with the flour and milk.
10. Switch to the dough hook.
11. Take the dough and add it to an oiled glass dish.
12. Cover and keep in a warm dark place for 1 - 1.5 hours.
13. Once the dough has doubled in size, tip it out onto a board, add some flour and knead.
14. Divide the dough in half, and each half in quarters and each quarter in half.
15. Repeat with the other half.
16. Roll each divided piece into a ball.
17. Stretch each piece out and add 2 tbsps of the filling and press down.
18. Bring the edges together and place on a sheet.
19. Cover with cling film and allow to prod again for 15 - 30 mins.
20. Brush the buns with a thing layer of egg wash and allow it to dry.
21. Once it’s tacky, prepare a paste with flour & water and pour it into a piping bag.
22. Pipe a line in one direction on the buns and then in the other direction so they represent crosses.
23. It will need 30 mins to cook, but allow it to cook for 10 - 15 mins extra so the tops brown more and there is a contrast with the crosses.
24. Serve and enjoy!