Cabbage Roll Casserole is an easy family favorite. It combines all the delicious flavors of stuffed cabbage rolls with a lot less time and effort. This delectable casserole makes eight healthy servings and leftovers heat perfectly in the microwave.
|Lean ground beef||1 Pound|
|Garlic||3 Clove (15 gm)|
|Onion powder||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Ground cayenne pepper||1/4 Teaspoon|
|Brown sugar||2 Tablespoon|
|Tomato sauce||15 Ounce|
|Ow sodium beef broth||14 1/2 Ounce|
|Long grain white rice||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Head green cabbage||1 Medium|
|Finely shredded sharp cheddar cheese||1 1/2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Finely shredded monterey jack cheese||1 1/2 Cup (24 tbs)|
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 9×13 inch casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray or olive oil spray.
2. Brown ground beef. When the ground beef is about halfway browned add the onion; cook until the beef is fully browned. Reduce the heat to low. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute stirring continuously. Drain any excess fat from the skillet.
3. Add paprika, onion powder, cayenne, brown sugar, tomato sauce, beef broth, and rice. Bring the mixture to a low boil. Turn to simmer and cover with lid. Simmer for 20 minutes until rice is tender.
4. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add 1/2 of the chopped cabbage and cook until slightly tender; 5-7 minutes.
5. Spread cabbage over the bottom of the casserole dish.
6. Top with 1/2 of the ground beef mixture.
7. Sprinkle with 1/2 of the cheeses; blending them.
8. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the other 1/2 of the chopped cabbage and cook until slightly tender; 5-7 minutes.
9. Spread the cabbage over the cheese in the casserole dish. Top with the other 1/2 of the beef mixture and then with the remaining cheese.
10. Cover the casserole with aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes.
11. Remove the foil and bake for another 20 minutes or until the cheese is lightly browned.
12. Serve and Enjoy!