Thick and dense with a silky texture, this American buttercream recipe is quick, easy, and delicious. It's perfect for spreading or piping onto cakes, cupcakes, and cookies. The flavor of the buttercream icing can be customized using different extracts. Extracts like almond, raspberry, orange, caramel, or maple would be delicious.
|Room temperature butter||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Powdered sugar||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Heavy cream||3 Tablespoon|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
1. Gather ingredients.
2. Place softened butter in a mixing bowl.
3. With the paddle attachment, beat butter until smooth.
4. Add 3 cups of powdered sugar.
5. Beat on low until the butter and sugar are incorporated. Then, raise the speed to medium and mix for 2-3 minutes.
6. Add vanilla and 2 tablespoons of heavy cream.
7. Beat on medium-high and check consistency. Add the additional tablespoon of cream if looking for a thinner buttercream.
8. If tinting the buttercream, with a toothpick, add gel food coloring a little at a time.
9. Stir well. Add more food coloring if the color is not intense enough.
10. Use this buttercream frosting to ice cupcakes, cookies, or your favorite cake.