This is one of those recipes that lets you use up extra egg whites that you might have. Recipes that use leftover egg whites can be useful, and egg white recipes can be tasty. This recipe uses salted caramel and chocolate to make a decadent over-the-top no gelatine mousse recipe.
|Sugar||1/2 Cup (8 tbs) (125 ml)|
|Butter cube||3 Tablespoon (Salted)|
|35% cream||3/4 Cup (12 tbs) (175 ml)|
|Flaky sea salt||1/4 Teaspoon (1 ml)|
|Chopped bitter sweet chocolate||170 Gram (oz, Semisweet or milk chocolate)|
|Egg whites||5 Large|
1. Heat the sugar in a heavy bottom pot over medium heat.
2. As it begins to liquefy, gently stir it.
3. Continue to cook stirring very gently, until all the sugar is melted.
4. Careful; once the sugar starts to darken, it is in danger of burning.
5. When the caramel is a deep clear amber color remove it from the heat and immediately whisk in the butter until melted.
6. Slowly whisk in the salt and cream until smooth.
7. If the caramel 'seizes' you can gently heat and stir until smooth.
8. Whisk in the chocolate, until it's melted and smooth.
9. Let the chocolate mixture sit until it reaches room temperature.
10. In a separate bowl, whip the egg whites until stiff peaks are reached.
11. Stir 1/3 of the egg whites into the chocolate mixture.
12. Fold in the remaining egg whites just until no streaks of white remain.
13. Divide the mousse into 6 servings and chill for at least 2 hours.
14. Serve and enjoy!