Tom's back this week to show you how to rock the most important meal of the day... breakfast! In this episode, Tom takes a stroll down the vegetable aisle of the Shelf Life supermarket to grab some ingredients for his Menemen-inspired fried rice bonanza. Chef Tom takes a few components of this famous Turkish breakfast dish and reimagines them in an inauthentic but delicious fried rice recipe.
|Mixed cherry tomatoes||200 Gram ((salted))|
|Jasmine rice||400 Gram|
|Onion||1 ((sliced with grain))|
|Spring onions||2 ((separated into whites and greens and in 1cm chunks))|
|Chicken stock cube||1|
|Sucuk ring||1 ((casing removed, sliced into quarters lengthwise then diced into chunks))|
|Mint||2 Tablespoon ((or A handful, plust extra for garnishing))|
|Parsley||2 Tablespoon ((or A handful, plust extra for garnishing))|
|Flatbreads||1 Large ((or 2 small))|
|Schwartz curry powder||1 Teaspoon|
|For confit garlic tahini sauce:|
|Neutral oil||250 Gram|
|Tahini||6 Tablespoon ((Lebanese tahini))|
|Lemon||1 , juiced|
|For raw tomato chilli sauce:|
|Red baby potatoes||250 Gram|
|Hot green chilies||2|
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
1. Wash your rice in several changes of cold water until the water runs clear, the place in a small saucepan.
2. Top rice with enough water to cover to the tip of your cuticle (finger test).
3. Place uncovered on high heat and boil until the top of the rice is dry, then cover with a tight lid and cook on a low flame for 10 minutes.
4. Remove from heat and steam with the lid on for 3 minutes, then transfer to a lightly oiled tray and spread out to cool.
5. Set aside until at room temperature or chill if desired.
6. Meanwhile, foam 75g butter and add 1 tsp curry powder, then chuck in torn khobez flatbread.
7. Fry until crisp, turning often, then set aside.
8. Coat cooled rice in egg yolk and beat remaining eggs.
9. Make garnish sauces by combining all ingredients, then set aside.
10. To the buttery (uncleaned) wok or pan, add sucuk and fry until crisp in places. Remove with slotted spoon.
11. To sujuk fat, fry peppers for 1 min. Add spring onion whites and onion and fry 2 mins.
12. Add yolk-coated rice. Toss to assimilate. Season with stock powder, mushroom powder and sugar. Toss to coat.
13. Return sausage, add handful of mint, parsley, salted tomatoes, fried bread (half of it).
14. Turn into bowl, invert on plate. Dress with tahini & tomato sauce, fried bread, more herbs and pepper flakes.