These tried-and-true homemade butter cookies are a holiday favorite! So many treasured memories of baking these with mom and Grandma, and now our children - we love these easy thumbprint cookies. Fill them with blackberry and strawberry jam for a delicious addition to your Christmas cookie tray.
|Butter||1 1/2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Vanilla extract||2 Teaspoon|
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon|
1. Preheat oven to 400 or 375 convection. Lightly butter cookie trays with aluminum lining.
2. Cream butter well. Add sugar and cream well again.
3. Add egg and vanilla. Cream once more.
4. Whisk flour and baking powder together briefly (or sift).
5. Add flour mix to butter mix gradually.
6. Combine until you have a smooth dough.
7. Form into small balls.
8. Press balls down with either thumb or thimble to make a nice dent in the middle of each. Dip finger or thimble in flour when needed for a clean release.
9. Fill each dent with a jelly, colored sugar or candied fruit of your choice. Grape jelly, strawberry jelly and apricot are favorites.
10. Bake for 8 to 10 min until lightly browned then move to cooling rack.
11. Serve and Enjoy!