Mom's lemon meringue pie is a delicious combination of sweet and lemony tartness. With just a few easy ingredients, you'll have a delicious lemon pie topped with fluffy and perfectly peaked meringue for a lovely dessert recipe.
|For the lemon pie:|
|Lemon pudding mix||2 Box|
|Sugar||1 1/2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Lemon juice concentrate||1/3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Cold water||5 2/3 Cup (90.67 tbs) (divided)|
|For the meringue:|
|Sugar||2/3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
1. Thaw 2 pre-made 9" deep dish pie shells (or you can make your own crusts) and using a fork prick the shell all around, so the crust doesn't puff up during the baking time.
2. Bake the pie shells in a pre-heated 400° oven for 10-12 minutes until lightly browned; set aside to cool.
3. Divide the egg yolks and reserve the whites for the meringue, making sure there is NO egg yolk in the whites. I remove the white membrane from the reserved egg whites also. Keep the egg white at room temperature.
4. In a microwaveable safe glass bowl, combine the pudding mix, sugar, whipped egg yolks, 1/3 cup of lemon juice, and 2/3 cup of the water. Whisk the ingredients until all is combined.
5. Add the remaining 5 cups of water.
6. Place in the microwave on full power and cook (STIRRING EVERY 3 MINUTES) for about 16-18 minutes.
Note: If you use hot water it would be less cooking time. I use cold because that's the way mom wanted it done.
7. The pudding will be semi-thick. The pudding will thicken more as it cools.
8. Fill each of the pre-baked pie crusts and set aside while you make the meringue.
9. In a large bowl, add the reserved egg whites and beat on high just until it starts to get foamy.
10. Add 1 Tbsp of the sugar at a time, beating between each addition, until all the sugar is used.
11. Continue to beat on high until stiff peaks form in the egg whites.
12. Spoon half of the firm meringue onto each pie and spread out to seal the edge of the pie.
13. Using your spatula or spoon, tap the top of the meringue to lift up peaks on the pie.
14. Bake the pie on the center oven rack for 10-12 minutes @ 350F until the meringue is a golden brown.
15. It's best if you chill this pie before cutting into it. Serve & Enjoy!