Soaked in buttermilk and coated in cornmeal, these homemade fried green tomatoes are the perfect snack, addition to a sandwich (hello fried green tomato BLT) or appetizer.
|Green tomatoes||4 Medium|
|Buttermilk||1 1/4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Pepper||1 1/2 Teaspoon|
|Cornmeal||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Oil||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
1. Slice tomatoes about 1/4 in thick.
2. Mix buttermilk, eggs, 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp of pepper, and the 2 Tbsp of flour together.
3. Combine the flour, cornmeal, 1 tsp salt, and 1 tsp of pepper together in a bowl.
4. Soak the tomato slices in the buttermilk mixture.
5. Then coat them one at a time in the flour mixture.
6. Oil should be 350 degrees. Cook in batches making sure you don't overcrowd them or overlap them. Turn around 3 times until nice and golden brown.
7. Drain on paper towel. Serve immediately and enjoy!