We love this easy Thanksgiving leftover recipe! With a flaky crust and creamy filling, this Thanksgiving Turkey Pot Pie uses your leftover turkey and vegetables for a delicious (and easy) post-holiday dinner.
|Leftover turkey||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Mixed veggies||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Butter||1/3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Flour||1/3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Dried thyme||1/8 Teaspoon|
|Chicken broth||1 1/2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Milk||3/4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Unbleached all purpose flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Vegetable shortening||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Ice cold water||2 Tablespoon|
|White vinegar||1 Tablespoon|
For Pie Crust:
1. Combine flour with salt. Cut into flour and salt, the room temperature shortening with a pastry blender until mixture resembles large peas.
2. Beat egg, water and vinegar together. Pour over flour mixture and stir with a fork until moistened. Divide dough in half.
3. Flatten first half into a circle and roll out between 2 sheets of wax paper. *Doing the crust this way makes it tender as handling it too much will produce a tough crust. Remove the top sheet of wax paper and invert crust onto pie plate. Peel 2nd sheet of wax paper from the crust and fit crust into pan. Once your turkey mixture is in the pan invert crust over top of pie and seal edges.
4. Heat butter in a large saucepan over medium heat until melted. Stir in flour and cook til bubbly and thickened. Add onion, thyme, salt and pepper to taste. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is thickened. Remove from heat. Stir in broth and milk. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Cook another minute or so longer. Stir in turkey and vegetables.
5. Heat oven to 425ºF. Prepare the pastry. Put one pie crust in a 9 inch pie pan and fill with mixture.
6. Put remaining crust over top and pinch together edges. Pierce with sharp knife or fork for steam to vent.
7. Bake 35 - 40 minutes until golden brown and bubbling up through slits in crust.
8. Serve and Enjoy!