A delicious spiced Potato bhaji or filling is stuffed into dough circles and baked till the buns are cooked and golden brown.
This recipe reminds me of my childhood. We used to get these vegetarian buns when I attended boarding school in Panchgani. If you saw my recipe for Chicken Vindaloo Buns the dough is the same the only difference is that I brushed the tops with milk instead of egg wash since it's vegetarian. The filling itself called Potato bhaji is very versatile, you can eat it as is or you can use it in a filling in these Buns, Samosas, Parathas, Batatawadas ... the list goes on and on.
|Active yeast||2 Teaspoon|
|Warm water||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Pre sifted all purpose flour||3 1/2 Cup (56 tbs)|
|Warm milk||1 1/2 Cup (24 tbs) , divided (plus extra for brushing)|
|For pototo bhaji filling:|
|Mustard seeds||1 Teaspoon|
|Finely diced onion||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Minced green chili||1 Tablespoon|
|Curry leaves||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Ginger garlic paste||2 Tablespoon|
|Turmeric powder||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Chili powder||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Cumin powder||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Boiled potatoes||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Chopped coriander||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. Add the yeast, warm water and sugar to a bowl and allow this to froth for 30 mins.
2. Add the baking powder, butter, salt and alternate with the milk and flour.
3. Knead and if the dough is too dry, add a bit more milk.
4. Transfer to an oiled bowl, cover with cling film and a towel and allow to rise for 2 hours in a warm place.
5. Knead the dough and divide it into 11 – 12 pieces.
6. Cover and allow to proof again for 30 mins.
7. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
8. To make the filling, heat some oil and add the diced onion and green chilli.
9. Add curry leaves, ginger and garlic paste and the cooked potatoes.
10. Add salt to taste.
11. Add the coriander and allow to completely cool.
12. Divide the filling once cool into golf ball sized balls.
13. Remove the divided buns and flatten each one to form a disc and then a cup.
14. Add a ball of filling in the center.
15. Pull the edges together to seal.
16. Bake for 10 mins in a preheated oven at 350 degrees.
17. After that remove and brush with egg wash and sesame seeds.
18. Bake for another 30 mins.
19. Serve and enjoy!