Tutti Frutti is really just candied pieces or Watermelon rind, raw Papaya or firm Melon. Once candied, these are immersed in food colouring and then air-dried. They are perfect in confections and the famous
|Melon cubes/Watermelon rind||1 Cup (16 tbs) (or raw papaya)|
|Chopped ginger||1 Tablespoon|
|Chopped orange rind||1 Tablespoon|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Food colouring||2 Drop (red, green and yellow)|
1. To make the Tutti Frutti first boil everything in water for about 5 mins.
2. Once done, drain out the extra water.
3. Add the Sugar and Water and allow this to boil for a few minutes.
4. Add the fruit back in and cook this till the melon becomes translucent this will take 10 - 15 mins.
5. Please note that if using watermelon rind or raw papaya is used you can boil a bit longer.
6. Strain this and divide into 3 jars.
7. Using food colouring, add a drop or so in each jar and love for 30 mins.
8. Strain any remaining sugar syrup out AND leave it on some mesh to dry for 24 - 36 hrs.
9. Once dry, they can be stored in an air tight jar.
10. Use as required.