Tutti Frutti cake is a simple eggless cake, made super special with the addition of 'Tutti Frutti' or candied pieces of melon.
|For tutti frutti:|
|Diced melon/Watermelon||1 Cup (16 tbs) (firm, or raw papaya)|
|Chopped ginger||1 Tablespoon|
|Chopped orange rind||1 Tablespoon|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Food colouring||2 Drop (red, green and yellow)|
|For cake batter:|
|All purpose flour||1 1/2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Baking soda||1/4 Teaspoon|
|Sugar||3/4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Yogurt||3/4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Oil||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Vanilla bean paste/Vanilla essence||1 Teaspoon|
|Orange essence||1 Teaspoon|
|Melted white chocolate||1 Tablespoon (For topping)|
|Tutti frutti||1 Tablespoon (For topping)|
1. To make the Tutti Frutti first boil everything in water for about 5 mins.
2. Once done, drain out the extra water.
3. Add the Sugar and Water and allow this to boil for a few minutes.
4. Add the fruit back in and cook till the melon becomes translucent. This will take 10 - 15 mins.
5. If using watermelon rind or raw papaya is used you can boil a bit longer.
6. Strain this and divide into 3 jars.
7. Using food colouring, add a drop or so in each jar and love for 30 mins.
8. Strain any remaining sugar syrup out AND leave it on some mesh to dry for 24 - 36 hrs.
9. Once dry, they can be stored in an air tight jar.
10. To make the cake batter first beat the sugar and yogurt together.
11. Sift the flour, baking powder and soda together and then fold it into the wet ingredients.
12. Add the electric beater if necessary but don’t overbeat.
13. Add the Orange rind and the Tutti Frutti.
14. Fold and pour into a buttered pan that has a strip of parchment at the bottom.
15. Fill the pan and add to a preheated oven and cook for about 40 mins.
16. Once cooked, allow the cake to completely cool.
17. Run a knife around the sides and turn over.
18. Remove the parchment paper.
19. This is optional - dress it up with some melted white chocolate and some more Tutti Frutti.
20. Serve and enjoy!