Southern Hot Milk Cake With Salted Caramel Sauce Recipe. People kept requesting a hot milk cake recipe... It's not really something that I've come across here in Toronto. Or at least if I've had it, no one said "This is a hot milk cake". After some research into Southern hot milk cake recipes, I settled on this and it was amazing! Truly this is a great vanilla sponge cake recipe.
|Sugar||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Milk||1 1/4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Coarse salt||1 1/4 Teaspoon|
|Baking powder||2 Teaspoon|
|Vanilla extract||2 Teaspoon|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Corn syrup||1 Tablespoon|
|Heavy 35% cream||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Coarse salt||To Taste|
1.Preheat the oven to 165ºC (325°F).
2. Grease a 9x13" cake pan.Beat the eggs and sugar together until they're light and fluffy.In a pan on medium heat, bring the milk and butter almost to a boil.Stir together the flour, salt, and baking powder.
3. Add the flour mixture to the egg mixture; beating just enough to fully combine.
4. Remove the pan with the milk and butter from the heat, add the vanilla and stir the mixture until the butter is completely melted.
5. Slowly mix the hot milk mixture into the cake batter, until smooth and well combined.
6. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
7. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until a cake tester comes out clean.
8. Place on a rack to cool.
For Caramel Sauce:
9. In a pan set on medium heat, combine the sugar and corn syrup; stir to combine.
10. Cook, stirring occasionally until the sugar has turned an amber hue, approximately 10 to 12 minutes.
11. Meanwhile, warm the cream.
12. When the sugar has caramelized, slowly whisk in the warm cream.
13. Continue simmering and stirring until smooth.
14. Whisk in the butter, and then the salt, to taste.
15. Serve warm.