Today we're going to make a vegan lentil barley soup and I I hesitate to call it vegan soup or vegetarian soup because this broth is so incredibly filled with umami and it ticks all of the boxes that you need for a flavourful rich soup even though it's meatless.
|Garlic||4 Clove (20 gm)|
|Ginger root||1 Inch|
|Ground turmeric||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Ground cumin||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Ground coriander||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Vegetable broth||4 1/2 Cup (72 tbs)|
|Dry red lentils||3/4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Pearl barley||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. Heat the oil over medium high heat.
2. Sauté the onion until translucent, then stir in the garlic, and ginger.
3. Cook until softened and fragrant.Stir in the turmeric, cumin, and coriander; cook just until the spices are fragrant.Stir in the vegetable broth, lentils, and barley.
4. Bring to a boil, and reduce to a simmer.
5. Cook partially covered for about 20 - 30 minutes, until the lentils and barley are cooked through.Season to taste with salt and pepper.
6. Serve and enjoy!