Today on the Old Cookbook Show, we are going to make a 1930's Depression era Canadian version of a Tamale Pie Recipe. Tamale Pie probably wasn't something that a lot of Canadians were eating in the 1930's - so this Tamale Pie Recipe was a bit of an exotic anomaly in this cookbook.
|Cornmeal||1 1/3 Cup (21.33 tbs)|
|Salt||1 1/2 Teaspoon|
|Cold water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Boiling water||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Ground beef/Pork||1 Pound|
|Canned tomatoes||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Cayenne pepper||To Taste|
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF
2. Mix cornmeal, salt, and cold water; add boiling water.
3. Stir well and cook in a double boiler for 1 hour.
4. Render suet, and cook onion until it browns.
5. Then add meat and brown it, add tomatoes and cook 5 minutes.
6. Add salt, pepper and cayenne to taste.
7. In a greased casserole, add an inch layer of cornmeal.
8. Add the meat in a layer, and then a final layer of cornmeal.
9. Cover and bake for 45 minutes.
10. Remove cover and brown.
11. Serve and enjoy