Today we are going to make a Cottage Pie Recipe - Cottage Pie is just a Shepherd's Pie Recipe made with Beef. Minced Beef and mashed potatoes Recipe Cottage Pie
Minced Lamb and mashed potatoes Recipe Shepherd's Pie Small point, but I know that it drives youtube commenters crazy if you get that wrong... Anyway call it Cottage Pie, or Shepherd's Pie. Call it Mince Mash. Call it crazy good!
|Ground beef||1 Kilogram|
|Onions||2 , finely chopped|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm)|
|Tomato paste||1 Tablespoon|
|Red wine/Beer||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Beef stock||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Worcestershire sauce||2 Tablespoon|
|Thyme sprigs||To Taste|
|Peas||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Corn||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|For the mash:|
|Potatoes||1 1/2 Kilogram|
|Old cheddar cheese||200 Gram|
1. Preheat oven to 180ºC (350ºF).
2. Brown the ground beef in an ovenproof cast-iron pan, do this in batches if you need to.
3. Remove beef and set aside.In the same pan fry the onions, carrots, celery, and mushrooms until soft.Stir in the tomato paste, and cook for a minute or two.
4. Stir in the garlic, and flour.Pour in the red wine, if using, and boil to reduce slightly before adding the beef stock, Worcestershire sauce, Marmite, thyme, and beef.Bring to a simmer and cook, uncovered until the gravy has thickened.
5. Season with salt and pepper, and discard the thyme stalks.
6. Sprinkle in the corn and peas.Meanwhile, make the mashed potato topping.
7. In a large saucepan, cover the chopped potatoes in salted cold water, bring to the boil and simmer until tender.Drain and then mash with the milk, butter, and cheddar cheese; then season with some salt and pepper.Spoon the mashed potatoes over the meat to cover.
8. Sprinkle on some more cheese if you want.Bake in the oven for 45 minutes or so, until bubbly and the potatoes have browned.
9. Serve and enjoy!