This simple easy Rice Recipe presents endless possibilities for changing the flavour - with different spices and dried fruit additions.
|Basmati rice||1 1/2 Cup (24 tbs) (375 ml)|
|Butter||3 Tablespoon (45 ml)|
|Onion||1 , finely chopped|
|Bell pepper||1 , finely chopped|
|Celery ribs||2 , finely chopped|
|Cumin||1/2 Teaspoon (2 ml)|
|Ground tumeric||2 Milliliter|
|Cinnamon||1/2 Teaspoon (2 ml)|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm) , mince|
|Chicken stock||560 Milliliter (2 1/4 cup)|
|Currants||1/2 Cup (8 tbs) (125 ml)|
|Peas||1/2 Cup (8 tbs) (125 ml, fresh or frozen)|
|Pine nuts/Pistachios||1/4 Cup (4 tbs) (60 ml)|
1. Preheat the oven to 180ºC (350ºF).
2. Melt the butter in a 3-quart braiser over medium heat.
3. Stir in the onion, bell pepper, and celery; and saute until the onion is translucent.
4. Add cumin, turmeric, cinnamon, and garlic to sautéed vegetables and cook until fragrant.
5. Add rice, and cook, stirring constantly, for about 1-2 minutes.
6. Add chicken stock, bay leaves, peas, and currants.
7. Bring to a boil.
8. Cover and transfer the braiser to the oven and bake 15 minutes.
9. Remove and rest at room temperature for 15 more minutes without opening the lid.
10. Remove bay leaves, stir and sprinkle on the pine nuts.
11. Serve and enjoy!