Gajar ka Halwa is a soft fudgy dessert made with grated Carrots. This simple dessert can be made in a variety of ways and served hot or cold. In this recipe, seasonal carrots are grated and sauteed in melted Ghee or clarified butter and cooked together with reduced Milk Sugar. Once semi cooked, Khoya or milk solids are added together with dried fruit and nuts.
|Full fat milk||1200 Milliliter|
|Cardamoms||4 , crush (seeds only)|
|Carrots||1 Kilogram , grated|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Khoya||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Mixed dry fruits||1 Cup (16 tbs) , soaked (like Raisins, Pistachios, Cashews and Almonds, plus extra for garnishing)|
1. Boil the milk stirring constantly till it’s reduced down to 1000 ml of milk and cream.
2. Heat the ghee and add the crushed cardamom seeds.
3. Add the grated carrots and saute for a few mins.
4. Spoon in the milk and cream and start to cook the carrots, stirring constantly.
5. The process should take 30 - 40 mins depending on how cooked you want to cook the carrots.
6. Halfway through add the grated khoya.
7. Once ready add the dried fruits or nuts.
8. You can either spoon this dessert into a dish, top with nuts and serve or you can spoon it into a mould and set it to cool overnight before turning it out.