Your local chaatwalla bhaiya ji can move over. Sev Puri dough is wrapped onto cones and fried till crispy and then stuffed with a chatpata Potato filling, with Chutney and topped with crispy Sev.
If youre familiar with Indian street food Sev Puri is a crispy flour disk, topped with a spicy potato mixture and topped with Sev, a cripsy noodle made with lentil flour. Typically the bhaiyaji or street vendor will prepare about 6 of these and serve these to you on a plate. Ive taken the same concept and instead of buying store bought puris, Ive made the dough and rolled them out larger to make cones.
|All purpose flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Semolina/Rava||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Ajwain/Carom seeds||1/4 Teaspoon|
|Shah Jeera||1/4 Teaspoon|
|Chilli flakes||1 Teaspoon|
|Water||3/4 Cup (12 tbs) (warm WaterIn boiling salted water with a pinch of Turmeric, I’m goign to add)|
|Oil||2 Cup (32 tbs) (For deep frying)|
|Diced potatoes||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Chilli powder||1/4 Teaspoon|
|Chaat masala||1 Teaspoon|
|Finely diced onion||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Finely chopped coriander||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Tamarind sauce||1 Tablespoon|
|Red chilli sauce||1 Tablespoon|
|Green chutney||1 Tablespoon|
|Sev||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. Prepare the dough by mixing the flour, semolina, salt, ajwain, shah jeera and chilli flakes together.
2. Add the ghee and work it into the dough.
3. Add water as needed and knead the dough and allow to rest for 30 mins.
4. Boil the potatoes in salted water with a pinch of turmeric.
5. When cooked drain and cool.
6. Prepare the dough cones by rolling out the dough and cutting circles about 9 cms.
7. Re-roll the circles so they are at least 11 cms in diameter.
8. Wrap them around the metal cones and deep fry.
9. Once fried, drain on a kitchen towel, cool and store in a tin.
10. Add the onion, coriander spices, sauces & chutney to the potato mixture.
11. Using a muddler or spoon, lightly mash about half the potatoes.
12. To assemble, fill the base of the cone with sev, add dollops of the sauces and chutney, add the potato mixture and top with more sauce, chutney and sev.
13. Serve within the hour.