1915 Black Pepper Cake Welcome Friends! Welcome back to Sunday morning and another one of our old cookbook shows. Today we're going to do another recipe out of the Five Roses
cookbook put out by the Lake of the Woods milling company and we're going to try something today called Pepper Cake Recipe. It uses black pepper as one of the flavourings, something you don't often see in cakes.
|Raisins||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Baking syrup||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Butter||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Sour cream||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Sugar||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Baking soda||1 Teaspoon|
|Black pepper||1 Teaspoon|
1. Pre heat oven to 180ºC (350ºF)
2. Cream together the butter and sugar.
3. Beat in eggs one at a time.
4. Beat in baking syrup and sour cream.
5. In a separate bowl combine the dry ingredients.
6. Slowly mix the ‘dry’ ingredients into the ‘wet’.
7. Bake in a 9x9” cake pan for about 40 minutes.
8. Let it cool. Serve and Enjoy!