What do you get when you cross KFC Original Recipe Chicken with McDonalds Big Mac? You get this Fast Food Freak - The KFC Chicken Big Mac and its so freaking delicious!
|Kfc original recipe chicken|
|Garlic salt||1 Teaspoon|
|Celery salt||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Dried mustard||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Black pepper||1/2 Teaspoon|
|White pepper||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Plain flour||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Buttermilk||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Big mac special sauce:|
|Pickle relish||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Yellow mustard||1 Teaspoon|
|White vinegar||1 Teaspoon|
|Onion powder||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Garlic powder||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Sesame seed buns||4|
|Shredded lettuce||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Cheddar cheese slices||4|
|Dried onion flakes||1/2 Cup (8 tbs) (mixed with 2 tbls water)|
|Vegetable oil||2 Cup (32 tbs) (For deep frying)|
1. So to start off were going to put together the secret herbs and spices - into a bowl add 2 teaspoons of paprika, 1/2 teaspoon dried basil, 1/2 teaspoon of ground ginger, 1/2 teaspoon thyme leaves, 1 teaspoon garlic salt, 1/2 teaspoon dried mustard powder, 1/2 teaspoon celery salt, 1/3 teaspoon oregano, 1/2 teaspoon white pepper, 1/2 teaspoon salt and lastly 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper. Give everything a good mix around until combined well.
2. Now into a container add in 2 and 1/2 cups of buttermilk and add in the mixed herbs and spices. Mix them around well into the buttermilk.
3. Now place in the chicken, I’m using chicken breasts but you can use the thighs as well if you wish. You can fit heaps of chicken into this marinade so the amount is up to you - then marinate for at least an hour but for the best result leave it overnight.
4. For the breading mix, place in 2 cups plain flour and add the exact same amounts of the herbs and spices that we used before and add them to the flour. Give everything a good mix around until combined and leave aside.
5. Now lets move onto the Big Mac special sauce, into a bowl add in 2 tablespoons mayonnaise, 1/2 teaspoon pickle relish, 1 teaspoon yellow mustard, 1 teaspoon white vinegar, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon onion powder, 1/2 teaspoon of paprika, 1 teaspoon dried onion flakes and finally add in 1/2 teaspoon sugar. Give everything a good mix around until you get that famous colour the secret sauce is known for.
6. To assemble the burger, I’m using the classic Big Mac ingredients. 2 pickles for each burger, 1 slice of cheddar, 1/2 cup shredded lettuce for each burger and 1 tablespoon of dried onions.
7. Now the dried onions I’ve place in a teaspoon of water, which rehydrates them which is exactly what mcdonalds use.
8. Back to the chicken its time to bread it. Place the marinated chicken into the flour mix and coat evenly - now you can just do this once and it’s perfectly fine but I always go in for a double dip to get a crunchier coating, so just repeat this step one more time. What you’ll have is this chicken with nuggets of seasoned flour.
9. Now to fry the chicken, heat vegetable oil to 180c or 350f and place in and fry for 8-10 minutes. every now and again just lift out the chicken and turn it - trust me it makes the coating crispier. While the chicken is frying, prep the burger buns - to get the middle part I use another base and slice the dark side off. Toast all the buns until golden brown, then place 1 tablespoon of sauce on the heel bun and the middle bun. Spread it out to the sides, add the rehydrated onion on both buns, add the lettuce to both buns as well, on the middle bun place down 2 pickles and on the heel bun or the base bun place down a slice of cheddar cheese.
10. The chicken will be ready to go, it should be this beautiful golden brown. Drain on paper towels to soak up any excess oil, leave for 1 minute so it air dries. Then place down one piece of chicken on the middle and heel bun, then place the middle bun on top of the chicken from the base and then place on the top bun.
11. And there you have it, the KFC Big Mac - this burger is seriously so good, so good in fact that the two companies should merge and make this product, it would be a top seller for sure. But you dont have to wait for these two fast food heavyweights to join up - you can make it at home and freak out your tastebuds.