Meet my friend from the Bahamas - Raquel Fox, Chef extraordinaire! She owned a restaurant, now teaches at George Brown College and has a cookbook out on Amazon (link in comments). She has her own Youtube channel and is a regular on CTV Your Morning - next airdate Monday, 25th May 2020. She joins us on Kravings to make an authentic Steamed Bahamian Chicken. This Chicken is marinated in a special spice blend, sautéed in oil and then simmered in a special sauce.
|Chicken thighs||8 (bone|
|White vinegar||1 Tablespoon (15 ml)|
|Red wine vinegar||1/2 Cup (8 tbs) (125 ml)|
|Seasoned salt||1/4 Cup (4 tbs) (60 ml)|
|Canola oil||1/2 Deciliter (125 ml)|
|Olive oil||3 Tablespoon (45 ml)|
|Onion||1 Medium , slice|
|Garlic cloves||4 , mince|
|Orange bell pepper||1/2 , slice|
|Yellow bell pepper||1/2 , slice|
|Red bell pepper||1/2 , slice|
|Green bell pepper||1/2 , slice|
|Diced tomatoes||2 Cup (32 tbs) (500 ml)|
|Ketchup||1/2 Cup (8 tbs) (125 ml)|
|Chicken stock||2 Cup (32 tbs) , heated (500 ml)|
|Fresh thyme leaves||1 Tablespoon (15 ml)|
|Worcestershire sauce||1/4 Cup (4 tbs) (60 ml)|
|Molasses||1 Tablespoon (15 ml)|
|Scotch bonnet pepper||1 , dice (optional)|
|Chopped italian flat leaf parsley||1 Tablespoon (15 ml for garnish)|
1. Rinse chicken in a large bowl with cold water and 1 Tbsp (15 mL) white vinegar then pat dry with paper towels.
2. Pour red wine vinegar over poultry and season with seasoned salt.
3. In a large pot, heat canola oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken and brown on both sides for 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels.
4. Reduce heat to medium, add olive oil to the pan and heat. Add onion, garlic and bell peppers and cook for 3 minutes.
5. Add tomatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes more. Stir in ketchup, stock and stir to make a gravy that coats the back of a spoon. Bring to a boil. Add chicken and cook on high for 3 minutes.
6. Add remaining ingredients (except for the parsley). Lower the heat to simmer and cover with a lid that is slightly ajar to release steam for about 30–45 minutes or until tender and done.
7. Serve and enjoy!