A very special Lahori style batter is prepared and cod is dunked and fried till crispy, together with some home cut fries. Recently we had a few office lunches that I attended and my coworkers were all drooling over the Fish and Chips, which got me thinking ... what if they tried a Lahori style fried fish? Granted it's still deep fried, but this batter is gluten free. The batter is studded with powdered and whole spices before frying and crispy!
|Cod loin||2 Large (4 or 5 pounds each)|
|Chickpea flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Rice flour||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs) (use as required)|
|Ginger powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Garlic powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Red chilli powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Coriander powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Kasuri methi||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Cumin powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Ajwain seeds||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Red chilli flakes||3 Teaspoon|
|Cumin seeds||1 Teaspoon|
1. Make sure the fish is nice and dry and sprinkle with salt to draw out all the moisture
2. Cut the potatoes and keep immersed in water
3. Rinse under running water to remove excess starch
4. Boil for 15 - 20 mins in salted water then drain and cool
5. Once dry and cool deep fry the potatoes and keep aside
6. Prepare the batter by first adding water to the flours and whisking to remove all lumps
7. Add all the other powdered and whole spices, salt and pepper and if it’s thick add more water
8. Dip the fish in the batter and deep fry on both sides till cooked in the same oil
9. Once the fish is done, fry the potatoes for the second time to get super crispy.
10. Serve and Enjoy!