This Shahi Mushroom Korma is a balance of earthy flavors and unlike most Kormas, this is completely plant based. Mushrooms make this hearty and cashews coconut milk gives it its classic korma texture.
|Sliced onions||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Cashew nuts||1/4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Cinnamon stick||1 Inch|
|Ginger and garlic paste||2 Tablespoon|
|Chilli powder||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Cumin powder||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Garam masala||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Turmeric powder||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Tomatoes||1/5 Cup (3.2 tbs)|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Canned coconut milk||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Fresh button mushrooms||1 Pound|
|Chopped coriander||1/4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1. Heat some oil and saute the onions, allow it to turn golden brown and follow with the red kashmiri chillies and the cashew nuts.
2. Once the nuts are also a light golden brown, remove and cool.
3. Reserve some onion and cashew for a garnish if you wish.
4. Once cool puree in your food processor
5. In the same saute pan, heat up the whole spices - bay leaf, green & black cardamoms, star anise & peppercorns.
6. Scrape the pureed onion, chillies and cashews in the saute pan. Add the ginger and garlic paste. Saute.
7. Add the powdered spices. Add the dices tomatoes and saute.
8. Cover and cook cook for about 3 - 5 mins.
9. When you open the lid, squish the tomatoes with the back of your spoon.
10. Add the coconut milk and cover again and cook for a few minutes.
11. Every time you open the lid, shut the heat off if not using a deep pot as it will splutter.
12. Tuck the mushrooms into the gravy and cook for 3- 5 minutes
13. In between flip the mushrooms over
14. After the mushrooms are nice and tender add the chopped coriander and serve garnished with the friend onion and cashews.
15. Serve and Enjoy!