Welcome Friends. It is Sunday morning so we're going to do another in our old cookbook series, and again today we're going to use the Five Roses Flour Cookbook. This copy was published in 1932. Now we've already done a recipe from this page the peanut butter bread and a lot of people said I like the orange honey bread right below it can you make
|Orange||2 (use the rind)|
|Baking soda||1/8 Teaspoon|
|Honey||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Flour||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Baking powder||4 Teaspoon|
|Milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Nutmeats||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Melted shortening||1/4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Baking soda||1/2 Teaspoon|
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF
2. Coarsely chop orange rinds and place in a pot with 1/8 tsp baking soda and enough water to cover.
3. Cook at a simmer for 30 minutes.
4. Drain and discard the water; place the peels back in the pot with ¼ cup water and the honey.
5. Simmer until thick as marmalade, and then remove from the heat to cool to lukewarm.
6. Beat the egg into the milk.
7. Toss a bit of the flour into the nuts to coat.
8. Combine the flour baking powder and salt.
9. Dissolve the ½ tsp baking soda into the tablespoon of water.
10. Add milk mixture to the dry ingredients a little at a time; beating well.
11. Add the orange mixture, dissolved soda and nuts; mixing just until combined.
12. Pour into a bread pan and let stand for 20 minutes.
13. Bake for 60 - 75 minutes.
14. Serve and Enjoy!