The alternate and smart use of frozen flaky paratha. I suggest only flaky layered malabar kerala paratha variety for this kind of recipes. It is easy to make puff pastry out of frozen flaky parathas.
|Chopped onions||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Cubed potatoes||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Mustard seeds||1 Teaspoon|
|Urad dal||1 Tablespoon|
|Turmeric powder||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Coriander and cumin powder||1 Tablespoon|
|Green chilli paste||1 Teaspoon|
|Ginger paste||1 Teaspoon|
|Dry mango powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Water||1/4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Peas||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Pav bhaji masala||To Taste|
|Chaat masala||To Taste|
|To puff pastry:|
|Parathas||10 (readymade or homemade)|
|Whole wheat flour||2 Tablespoon|
1. Heat some oil in a pressure cooker pot or on a pan.
2. To this, add mustard seeds, urad dal, curry leaves, onions and salt. Add haldi, dhania-jeera powder, green chilli paste and ginger paste.
3. Once the onions are cooked, add the potatoes, aamchoor powder and water
4. Close the cooker lid and let the potatoes cook for two whistles of the pressure cooker
5. Once the cooker has been cooled, open the lid and stir once again
6. Let the stuffing cool completely
7. In a separate bowl, mix peas with salt and pay bhaji masala and set it aside.
8. Instructions for puff pastry:
9. On a baking tray, dust dry flour.
10. Take out the Kawan Parathas and let them thaw on the baking tray. Sprinkle some dry flour on top of the Parathas so as to not let it become sticky. Make sure to not let them thaw completely or they will be hard to manage.
11. Be careful, the Flakey Parathas need only 7-10 minutes to thaw
For assembly and baking:
12. Prep heat the oven at 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
13. Place a semi-thawed paratha on a flat, well flour- dusted surface. Dust some more flour on top of it. Apply ghee and spread it on the paratha. Apply more flour. Add a second paratha on top of the first one. Roll both the parathas out together to create one larger sheet. Take a pizza cutter or a knife and cut out the edges to make into a square. Do not throw out the edges as they can be used for decorations for pies.
14. Using the pizza cutter, cut the square paratha vertically into two equal halves. This will make two puffs.
15. Take one half of the square paratha and mentally divide the rectangular half into two. Place 2 tbsp of potato stuffing on one side of the rectangular half. Place the masala peas (about 8-10) on top of the stuffing. Sprinkle some chaat masala on top of the peas. Apply water on the edges of the rectangular half.
16. Fold the empty half over the stuffing and gently press down the sides to let them stick. Using a fork press down on the edges to seal the puff. Flip it over gently and do the same to the other side. Make sure to not tear the edges. If the puffs are not sealed well, they can burst open while baking.
17. Make a small X mark on the top side of the puff to let out the steam while baking
18. Place the assembled puff on a baking tray with your choice of parchment paper or silicon mat or flour dusted on a baking tray.
19. Repeat steps 4 to 6 for the other half of the square paratha. Repeat steps 2 to 7 to the remaining parathas. This will give you 10 puffs.
20. Bake the puffs for 15-20 minutes or till golden brown. Let cool slightly.
21. Serve as a snack with tea/coffee or as part of a delicious meal!