This 1938 Jam Jams Cookie Recipe, may not be the exact same as the Jam Jams made today in Newfoundland... but this is still a really good jam filled cookie recipe.
|Butter||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Brown sugar||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Black molasses||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Boiling water||3 Tablespoon|
|Flour||To Taste (to make a soft dough)|
1. Preheat oven to 180ºC (350ºF)
2. Cream together butter, brown sugar and egg. Beat in molasses.
3. Dissolve soda in boiling water - straight from the kettle is OK.
4. Beat the water soda mixture into the batter.
5. With a wooden spoon slowly mix in all purpose flour until a soft dough forms.
6. On a floured surface roll out dough to about an 1/8” thick and cut with a cookie cutter.
7. Bake for 6-8 minutes.
8. While still hot spread on your favourite jam and stick together like a sandwich.
9. Serve and Enjoy!