Ragda has earned its share of fame by making itself useful in the preparation of chaats like Ragda Patties. Here is another interesting snack using yummy, tongue-tickling Ragda made of cooked safed vatana, tomatoes and spices. In the Dahi Ragda Chaat, the spicy Ragda is served with a shot of curds and a drizzling of chutneys. A garnish of sev and coriander adds more josh to this exciting mix of ingredients, presenting you with a really irresistible choice!
|Whisked curd||3/4 Cup (12 tbs) (dahi)|
|Green chutney||1 1/2 Tablespoon|
|Sweet chutney||3 Tablespoon|
|Chilli powder||1/4 Teaspoon (for sprinkling)|
|Cumin seed powder||1/4 Teaspoon (jeera, for sprinkling)|
|Finely chopped coriander||1 1/2 Tablespoon (dhania)|
|For the ragda:|
|Dried white peas||2 Cup (32 tbs) (dried white peas)|
|Oil||1 1/2 Tablespoon|
|Mustard seeds||1 Teaspoon (rai / sarson)|
|Asafoetida||1/4 Teaspoon (hing)|
|Finely chopped onions||1/4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Finely chopped tomatoes||1/4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Chilli powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Coriander powder||1/2 Teaspoon (dhania)|
|Turmeric powder||1/4 Teaspoon (haldi)|
|Finely chopped coriander||2 Tablespoon (dhania)|
|Lemon juice||1 Teaspoon|
1. Combine the safed vatana, little salt and enough water in a pressure cooker, mix well and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
2. Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid. Drain and keep aside.
3. Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan and add the mustard seeds and asafoetida and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
4. Add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
5. Add the tomatoes, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
6. Add the chilli powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, salt and ½ cup of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
7. Add the cooked safed vatana, coriander and lemon juice, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally. Keep aside.
FOR RAGDA CHAAT:
1. Divide the ragda into 3 equal portions.
2. Put a portion of the ragda in a serving bowl.
3. Pour ¼ cup of whisked curds, ½ tbsp of green chutney and 1 tbsp of sweet chutney, little chilli powder and cumin seeds powder for sprinkling evenly over it.
4. Finally sprinkle 1 tbsp of sev and ½ tbsp of coriander evenly over it.
5. Repeat steps 2 to 4 to make 2 more servings.
6. Serve immediately.