Its Ganesh Chaturthi! Time to make umpteen varieties of modak, Ganeshas favourite. Here is the Modak recipe, of rice flour shells filled with a succulent mixture of jaggery and coconut. While this mouth-watering delicacy is an inseparable part of Ganesh Chaturthi celebrations, you can try and make it more often as it is a tasty treat for the whole family, especially the young ones.
|For the dough:|
|Rice flour||1 Cup (16 tbs) (chawal ka atta)|
|For the filling:|
|Grated jaggery||1/2 Cup (8 tbs) (gur)|
|Freshly grated coconut||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Ghee||1/2 Tablespoon (plus extra for kneading and greasing)|
|Cardamom powder||1/2 Teaspoon (elaichi)|
FOR THE DOUGH:
1. For preparing the dough of ukadiche modak, boil 1 cup of water in a deep non-stick pan.
2. Add the ghee and salt, mix well and allow it to boil.
3. Once boiled add the rice flour and mix it quickly with a spoon
4. Once it starts coming together, close the lids and keep aside for 15 minutes.
5. Start kneading the dough with your palm. If you still feel the dough is hot, then wet your palms and then start kneading.
6. Divide the dough into 11 equal portions.
7. Cover with a damp cloth and keep aside.
FOR THE FILLING:
1. Heat a deep non-stick pan, add the jaggery, coconut and ghee and cook for 5 minutes.
2. Sprinkle the cardamom powder and mix well.
3. Remove in a plate and keep aside to cool slightly.
4. Divide the filling into 11 equal portions and keep aside.
FOR THE STEAMED MODAK:
1. Divide it into 11 portions and keep aside.
2. Take a portion of the dough and shape it into a smooth round ball. Ensure there are no cracks on the ball.
3. Grease your palms with ghee or oil.
4. Flatten the dough with your fingers to form a disc shape.
5. Give it a shallow bowl shape by pressing the edges & forming the dent.
6. Place a portion of the filling in the center.
7. Press the edges and create the pleats.
8. Get the pleats together in the center and seal it well.
9. Close the top by pinching and making it pointed
10. Repeat steps 2 to 9 to make the remaining ukadiche modaks.
11. Heat water in the steamer. Meanwhile, place a banana leaf on the steamer plate
12. Place the steamer plate inside the steamer and put 6 modaks on the banana leaf.
13. Steam on a medium flame for 12 minutes.
14. Repeat step 12 to make 5 more modaks in 1 more batch.
15. Serve the ukadiche modak warm with a drizzle of ghee.