Vindaloo or Vindhalho is a popular Goan curry. Goa is a state that is on the western coast of India and boasts of an amazing seafood rich cuisine. This recipe came down from the Portuguese settlers Vin meaning wine and Alho meaning garlic. There are many many recipes out there that use potatoes as aloo means potato in Hindi please refrain! The original Vindaloo is made with Pork however in the modern times you can find Chicken and Seafood versions of this iconic dish.
|For vindaloo paste:|
|Cinnamon stick||1 Inch|
|Cumin seeds||1 Teaspoon|
|Black mustard seeds||1/4 Teaspoon|
|Turmeric powder||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Chopped ginger||1/4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Garlic||1/4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Red wine vinegar/Malt vinegar||1/4 Cup (4 tbs) ((goan))|
|Water||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Ground onion||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Vindaloo paste||4 Ounce ((approx. 8 tbsps))|
|Fresh tomato puree||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Stock||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Water/Stock||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. Clean and deseed the Chillies.
2. Soak the Kashmiri Chillies in hot water fir 1 hr to overnight for 2 reasons A) I feel much better knowing that the chillies have been cleaned by immersing in hot water and B) Soaking the skins makes for a much better texture in the Vindaloo paste.
3. First process all the dry ingredients like the Cinnamon, Cloves, Cumin seeds, Peppercorns & Mustard seeds.
4. Add the Turmeric powder.
5. Add the fresh Ginger & Garlic.
6. Add the soaked chillies in batches and process.
7. Add the Vinegar and the rest of the chillies and keep processing.
8. To thin out this masala and get it nice and smooth add the water that the chillies were soaked in or regular water.
9. In a sauce pan, heat up some oil and add the ground Onion and allow it to saute.
10. Add the shrimp in and allow to saute for a few minutes.
11. Add the Vindaloo paste.
12. Saute the shrimp and the vindaloo paste together so the shrimp is coated in this.
13. Add salt to taste.
14. Add the fresh pureed Tomato.
15.To thin this out add the stock and more water or stock as required.
16. Cover this and allow this to cook for just a few minutes
17. Serve and enjoy!