These unique pakodas have a very different mouth-feel and a perfect flavour! They are not crisp like the conventional pakodas but interestingly soft. A combination of spices, ginger and green chillies is worked into the batter to give the Yellow Moong and Urad Dal PakodaYellow Moong and Urad Dal Pakodas an appetizing flavour. Serve with Coconut Chutney on a rainy day and watch them being wiped off the plate within minutes! Make sure you soak the dals for the required time, as mentioned in the recipe. Also make sure you patiently fry the pakodas till golden brown, or they might have a slightly raw flavour.
|Yellow moong dal||1/2 Cup (8 tbs) , soaked (split yellow gram)|
|Urad daal||1/2 Cup (8 tbs) , soaked (split black lentils)|
|Finely chopped ginger||1 Teaspoon (adrak)|
|Finely chopped green chillies||2 Teaspoon|
|Coarsely crushed cumin seeds||1/4 Teaspoon (jeera)|
|Freshly ground black pepper||1/2 Teaspoon (coarsely crushed kalimirch)|
|Chopped curry leaves||2 Tablespoon (kadi patta)|
|Finely chopped coriander||2 Tablespoon (dhania)|
|Asafoetida||1/4 Teaspoon (hing)|
|Besan||2 Tablespoon (bengal gram flour)|
|Oil||1/2 Liter (For deep frying)|
|Coconut chutney||1 Cup (16 tbs) (For Serving)|
1. To make yellow moong and urad dal pakoda, combine the yellow moong dal and urad dal in a deep bowl and soak in enough water for 3 hours. Drain well.
2. Blend in a mixer till coarse using ½ cup of water.
3. Transfer the mixture into a deep bowl, add all the remaining ingredients and mix well.
4. Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan, drop spoonful of the mixture using your fingers and deep-fry, a few pakodas at a time, on a medium flame till they turn golden brown in colour from all the sides. Drain on an absorbent paper.
5. Serve the yellow moong and urad dal pakoda immediately with coconut chutney.