One of the first items that we all tend to look for in a restaurant menu, the Paneer Butter Masala fits all descriptions - classic, all-time favourite, droolworthy, best of the best!
Yes, this restaurant-style Punjabi gravy is a necessary addition to your culinary skillset, and it is quite easy and quick too. Paneer Butter Masala is a classic Indian recipe of cottage cheese in a rich and spicy tomato gravy. You can also make a Jain version without onion or garlic. Paneer Butter Masala is best had with parathas or phulkas. As it simmers in your kitchen, the aroma fills the house and brings the family to the table at once!
|Paneer cubes||1 1/4 Cup (20 tbs) (cottage cheese)|
|Butter||2 1/2 Tablespoon|
|Chopped onions||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Cloves||2 (laung / lavang)|
|Cinnamon stick||1 Small (dalchini)|
|Chopped tomatoes||1 1/2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Cashew nuts||8 (kaju)|
|Coriander powder||1/2 Teaspoon (dhania)|
|Chilli powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Bay leaf||1 (tejpatta)|
|Ginger paste||1/2 Teaspoon (adrak)|
|Garlic paste||1/2 Teaspoon (lehsun)|
|Milk||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Kashmiri red chilli powder||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Garam masala||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Fresh cream||1 1/2 Tablespoon|
|Dried fenugreek leaves||1 Teaspoon (kasuri methi)|
|Finely chopped coriander||2 Tablespoon (dhania for the garnish)|
1. Heat ½ tbsp of butter and oil in a deep non-stick pan, add the onions and saute on a medium flame for 2 t o3 minutes.
2. Add the cloves, cardamom and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
3. Add the tomatoes, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
4. Add the cashew-nuts, coriander powder and chilli powder, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
5. Switch of the flame and cool slightly, transfer to a mixer, add ¼ cup of water and blend till smooth. Keep aside.
6. Heat the remaining 2 tbsp of butter in a deep non-stick pan, add the bayleaf, ginger paste and garlic paste and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
7. Add the tomato-onion purée, milk, Kashmiri red chilli powder, garam masala and salt mix well and cook on a medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
8. Add the fresh cream and dried fenugreek leaves, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 30 seconds, while stirring occasionally.
9. Add the paneer, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute, while stirring occasionally.
10. Serve immediately garnished with coriander.