Steaming hot and semi-spicy, this healthful and tasteful Lentil, Tomato and Spinach Soup is perfect to kindle your appetite! Spinach is one of the good sources of iron, but there is another good reason to have this soup. Both tomatoes and spinach are a good source of folic acid, which also plays an important role in improving haemoglobin levels.
|Masoor dal||1/4 Cup (4 tbs) , washed (drained)|
|Chopped tomatoes||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Finely chopped spinach||3/4 Cup (12 tbs) (palak)|
|Chopped onions||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Chopped garlic||1 Teaspoon (lehsun)|
|Black peppercorns||3 (kalimirch)|
|Lemon juice||1 Teaspoon|
1. Heat the butter in a pressure cooker, add the onions, garlic and peppercorns and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
2. Add the masoor dal, tomatoes, salt and 2 cups of water, mix well and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
3. Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
4. Allow the mixture to cool completely and blend in a mixer to a smooth purée.
5. Transfer the purée into a deep non-stick pan, add the spinach and ½ cup of water, mix well and bring it to boil, while stirring occasionally.
6. Remove from the flame, add the lemon juice and mix well.
7. Serve hot.