This 1938 Golden Spice Cake Recipe - is a winner. It creates a nice moist snack cake for just about any occasion. Feel free to tweak the spices to suit your palate.
|Sifted cake flour||2 1/4 Cup (36 tbs)|
|Baking soda||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground cloves||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Ground cinnamon||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Ground nutmeg||1/4 Teaspoon|
|Butter||1/2 Cup (8 tbs) , softened|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Cultured buttermilk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF
2. Mix together the dry ingredients: flour, cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg, soda and salt.
3. Cream the butter and sugar.
4. Beat in the egg, and then the molasses.
5. Add some of the flour, then some of the milk; alternating between.
6. Scrape into a greased 8x8” cake pan and bake for 45-50 minutes.
7. Serve and Enjoy!